There is a lot of misinformation on the Internet which says that disabling services on your Windows VPSes will make them faster.
Not only is this information false, but it causes users to disable services that are necessary for the VPS to function.
If you feel that your VPS is behaving too slowly, please contact support before attempting to disable Windows services.
NEVER disable these services:
Disabling the following critical services will lead to an inability to establish communication through the RDP:
- Base Filtering Engine
- DHCP Client
- Network Store Interface Service
- Remote Desktop Services
- Windows Firewall
What do I do if I can no longer connect to the server through the RDP?
If you stopped the critical service and cannot connect to the server through the RDP, you can connect via VNC. Just follow these steps:
1. Log in and go to your personal billing page at https://billing.blazingseollc.com/
2. On that page, in the “Your Active Products/Services” tab, click on the relevant server:
3. This should take you to the “Manage Product” page:
4. Under the “VPS Management” tab, click “VNC”
5. This prompt will appear:
6. Click “Launch HTML 5 VNC client”. You will then be taken to a login screen something like this:
7. To log in, click the "Send Ctrl-Alt-Del" button from the menu on the left side of the screen:
8. After logging in, go to “Control Panel” -> “Administrative Tools” -> “Services”.
9. Navigate to the disabled critical services and click "Start" on each of them to restore VPS functionality.